Friday, August 27, 2010

Magazine - it's for your shitter

I just read a "neener, neener" one page pseduo-ad in Rolling Stone about the fact that magazines have not diminished in popularity as predicted when the Internet took hold of media train.

It touts:
Young people do everything online. Like order millions of magazines.... Contrary to popular misconception, the phenominal popularity of the Internet has not come at the expense of magazines.... What's changed isn't people's affinity for magazines but the means by which they acquire them. Last year, nearly 22 percent of all new paid subscriptions were ordered online...
(Rolling Stone - Issue 1110, p7)
Why are magazines not falling by the wayside? Because you need to read in the shitter!

I'm not hauling my laptop into the bathroom. I'm not leaving a Kindle beside the john to pick up during a twosie. I'm going to flip through a magazine. Light, disposable reading.

Rolling Stone, I congratulate you on your survival skills in a world where the medium upon which you present your information is more important than your content. I am disappointed that you've reduced your size and turned from a music base to almost solely politics and pop culture.

In my opinion, there is no reason why the True Blood stars should be on your cover -- sizzlin' hot as they may be.

Call me a prude, but that cover is not going in the bathroom where my 10 year old stepson is spending his time - nor where my Grandmother will be if she drops by.

It is HOT AS SIN and going in MY bathroom!

(I don't even have HBO, so I can't watch the show)

Picture courtesy of Rolling Stone.com (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/28431/191807)

3 comments:

Stay at Home Babe said...

I have two issues of ROlling Stone in my bathroom right now. Very astute observation, Momma.

Aaaaaand, I love True Blood. Can't wait for them to start showing the new season here.

Crazy Chicken Mama said...

I didn't even know who those people were. I am also glad that my kids didn't see that one at your house.

I'm such a mom.

Cort (Modern Super Momma) said...

SAHB - That mag cover peaked my curiosity about the show. We can't afford them fancy channels, though.

Yes! CCM, I'm glad one of your munchkins didn't come running into the kitchen carrying that mag!!