Monday, November 29, 2010

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life

How many times has there been a "tomorrow" for me?

Hundreds.

When I graduate from college, then it'll all be better.

When I get into grad school, then it'll all be better.



When I finish my thesis it will all be better.


When I get my first professional job it will all be better.


When I get married it will all be better.


Yada yada yada.

I've always lived for the next landmark.

Today is one of those landmarks.

I turned thirty.  All day. Thirty thirty thirty. Instead of thinking about how cold it was, how the trees were bare and they'll stay that way for too many months.  Instead of staring at the mirror at the wrinkles that don't bounce back.  Instead of eating myself into oblivion....

I grabbed life by the giblets and started an 8 week program.

Hi, my name is Cort and I don't make time to be me. I get tired and depressed and eat to feed my soul.

Today, I put my health, my life, my being on the list.

No sugar. No carbs. No dairy.

Yes, you read that right.

I, who just cleared a pan of coffee cake BY MYSELF, managed to be good.

I will work hard.  I will be strong.  I will be healthy.

While today I was originally going to be posting an "after" picture... this is my new "before" picture.


Yay for me.

That said, I could totally go for a stack of waffles drenched in maple syrup.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Sorry it's a day late but happy birthday. Good luck with finding the new you!

Miranda said...

I'm working the couch to 5k program right now. I turn 32 this year and my daughter will be 2. Time to lose the baby weight. Luck to you!!

Ella said...

HI! I suck and missed telling you happy birthday on your actual birthday.

Feel free to hate on me for a WHOLE day, but no longer because that would make me really sad!

so HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY!

also, I think you are absolutely beautiful and I cannot wait to see/read about your progress. :)

Oodles and oodles of Love!

How Does She Do It Mom said...

Been meaning to comment on this post for awhile now...sorry for the delay. Just wanted to say love the read...and good for you!! You are rocking and rolling it already!!