Monday, March 8, 2010

A Mountain of Puking, Writhing, Sweating Self-Pity

Now it's stomach flu. Of course. Why would I not have stomach flu?

I have never been as sick as I have since I became a momma. The first few illnesses were a direct result of staying in the hospital and the antibiotics administered within - thanks to the "reconstructive surgery" that one specific set of baby shoulders made necessary. After that first month and a half of my body deciding which are friendly stomach critters and which were evil - I thought I was in the clear. Wrong!!

In the last three months I have had 2 colds, one torturous bout of pink eye, bronchitis, and now the stomach flu. In all honesty, I have not had as many issues in the last 5 years as I have has in recent months.

The funny thing of it all is that I am a hermit. I don't interact with people outside my home - yet I still get sick! I am sure my biweekly trek into civilization is just enough to send my immune system into a downward spiral.

The reason I believe that I've been so sick is that I am breastfeeding. I'm sending all my reserves to the little one. In all this time, she has had a stuffy nose twice. The first time was a legitimate cold I think, but now I blame teething. I think it is spectacular that she's as protected as she is. I mean pink eye lurked in our household for two weeks - yet she showed no symptoms.

Of course as a WAHM, I don't have the option of curling up in bed alone in the dark for two days to recover. No rest for the weary. Luckily, the babe was content with sitting inside a fortress of pillows and nursing laying beside her weakened momma. We just snuggled and slept once the hurling subsided.

Even though all of my defensive troops are all out defending another's immune system - I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, I would like to be less sick - but apparently that's not in the cards.

Have any of you experienced anything similar? Please let me know that I won't be a sick freak forever!

No comments: