Friday, May 28, 2010

Delusionally Illusional

I feel the call of an old friend. Whispering from the distance. We've shared many moments. Our relationship has molded my opinions, experiences, life outlook, attitudes, and personal connections. The simple thought of our friendship warms my heart. This friend knows me better than I know myself - speaking directly to me.
"Your friends know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years"
I'm not a reader. I don't hate reading, it just takes a lot of time that I don't seem to have.
"The best way to avoid responsibility is to say, 'I've got responsibilities'"
Before, when I had time, I filled it with other things. I would read to fall asleep - sometimes -- when I thought of it. Then Twilight came along...I read the series in a matter of days. But that was when I was pregnant and I could still afford 14 hour binge reading fits. Anyway. Mostly, I'm just not a reader.
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."
The smaller a book and larger the print - the more likely I'll give a book a shot. I just get overwhelmed with huge hefty books. They don't end, and just add to the "to be continued" pile of books on the lower shelf of my nightstand. Also, my reading-time contortions are limited by muscle fatigue with massive volumes. Pocket sized books are my friends.
"Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully."
Years ago in a galaxy far, far away - I was told about a book that would change my world. Granted, in this galaxy I was a poem writing freshman in high school who'd never really dared to venture very far from comfort for fear of punishment from daddy or de Debol.
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
I took the leap, it was different and lovely. Simple and complex. At least once a year return to my 192-paged, large print friend. The pages have long since yellowed. Many pages marked with scribblings, highlights, and notes. A reminder that things aren't always what they seem. It's a light, fast read.
"A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed. It feels an impulsion...this is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reasons and the patterns behind all the clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond the horizons."
You are welcome to join my circle, meet my friend, Illusions by Richard Bach. So on this long weekend or during a summer break. Take some time to explore.
"You teach best what you most need to learn."
It is full of post-it note worthy quotes to both center and inspire. Although written in 1977 after his famed Jonathan Livingston Seagull, which is assigned to and fake-read by high schoolers nationwide, Illusions's messages still ring true.
"Live never to be ashamed if anything you do or say is published around the world - even if what is published is not true."
Enjoy!

No comments: