Sunday, March 6, 2011

I've given myself homework

I know. I know. I bring it all on myself. 

If you don't want to do extra work, why in the hell would you start a new blog. And one that isn't a random rambling blog, but one that actually requires research and references and extra time?

Because I feel it is a niche that I can fill that isn't being addressed by others.

So what's the niche? 

My new blog is about accessible nature. Parents like to kick their kids out into the outdoors to play, to learn, to explore because they were kicked out of their house by their parents. Remember how FREAKING boring that got? Think about this generation with instant gratification and extreme levels of stimulus - how BORING must that calm nature seem? My argument is not to keep kids inside - or to send them out with their hand held games. It's to show them that there IS SO MUCH outside that you can't see it all at once. Bugs and birds and flowers and trees and mammals and reptiles and water and soil and how all of these all interact and depend on one another.

Why you? 

Because I spent 6 years going to college to learn to recognize, identify, and categorize the above creatures and their interactions. I earned two degrees that indicate that I know what I'm talking about. I worked two years running an intense research project studying ALL OF THESE THINGS. And because I am currently not using this information in any other way, and this, as with many skills, will be lost if I don't use it.

Are you just being a martyr for a cause that doesn't really need you?

No. I don't believe so. I think it important for people, especially teachers and parents, to have an extra ounce of information. Especially when dealing with children who are used to the at-your-fingertips information - it is essential for people to know what they might encounter when they step out the door, what equipment would be helpful to have along, or what to take a picture of to reference when the get back to a computer (or cell reception).

Are you abandoning this blog?

NO! My new site is family friendly, and I will still need a place to vent my crazy.


So where is this new site?
http://AdventuresInGnomeValley.wordpress.com
So go. Check it out, please. Share with your friends. I really think this is an admirable effort to bring the wonder of North American vegetation and wildlife to the forefront of the minds of our youth - via their parents.